Within the mapping interface, you are able to create custom areas around locations. You can choose to create a single location by geocoding an address, or you can opt to create your location manually by placing a point on a map. This tool can help your organization analyze different trade areas, which can be saved for future use.
Please see Create Areas Around Locations if you have multiple locations that you would like to build areas around.
- A location of interest
1. In the side panel, click My Data > Areas.
2. Click Create New.
3. Click Map.
2. You can either Geocode your location using address information or place your location manually on the map by using the Map Click option in Step 1 - Locate your study area.
Canadain Workspaces American Workspaces
4. After the geocode or map click is successful and the red marker has been placed on the map, you can continue to define your area in the second step.
5. There are three ways to create your areas in Step 2 - choose area type:
- Draw allows you to draw a spatial polygon around your location
- Distance allows you to specify linear distance or drive distance, measured by miles or kilometers, around your location
- Time allows you to specify the drivetime (heavy traffic and night) along with time spent walking around your location
- Unit: Kilometers (Radius) or Miles (Radius)
- Type: Linear or Drive Distance
- Size: Please enter at least one distance band
- Type: Drivetime (Heavy Traffic and Night) or Walking
- Minutes: Please enter at least one time band
7. In Step 4 - Save your area(s), enter a name for your newly created area in the Area Name field. You can also include Tags within this pane.
8. Click Save. You can view your new location file by navigating to the side panel, My Data > Areas.