Within ENVISION you can map the segments of your licensed segmentation system. This document will outline the various ways you can map them.
- An Area
- A Target Set or Group (only for Target Set and Group maps)
There are five mapping options:
1. In the side panel, click Mapping > Segments.
2. In Step 1 - Select an Area of Interest, click Select.
3. Select the trade area(s) of interest by clicking the check mark in the left column.
3. Click Continue.
4. Select one of the map types from the drop-down list.
Note: For American maps, choose to either map the segments by ZIP+4 (point level) or Block Group (boundary level). Canadian segment maps will be viewed at the postal code or dissemination area level - this is selected during the initial workspace set-up.
This option will allow you to map the top segments within an area. It is ranked on the total number of segment households within the area of interest. This map will default to the top 18 segments (this number can be manually edited).
II. Social Group
This map will display all segments by shading the segments according to their Social Group.
III. Lifestage Group
This option will map all of the segments by shading the segments according to their Lifestage Groups.
IV. Target Sets
This option will allow you to map any existing target sets created in the target set builder. Each target group in your target set will be color/colour coded based on the colors/colours you assigned to each group when they were created.
Note: In Canadian DA level workspaces, you can only create boundary-level maps. If you would like to output a point-level map, you will need to do so within a Postal Code workspace.
i. Select the target set of interest by clicking the check mark next to it.
V. Target Groups
This option will allow you to map one or more target groups. The map will be thematically shaded based on either the count or penetration of the households in the selected target group within the chosen area.
i. Select the Target Set of interest by clicking the checkmark next to it.
ii. Click Continue.
iii. Select your target group(s) by clicking the check box next to it.
iv. Select the Map Type.
- Map Count will shade the map according to the count of the number of households in the selected Target Group(s).
- Map % Penetration will shade the map according to the penetration rate of the selected Target Group(s) into the geography.
v. Select a Renderer Type.
- Graduated Color/Colour Map will create a map that shades the geographic boundaries based on the Count or % Penetration value.
- Graduated Circle Map will create a map that adds a circle to each geographic boundary, sized according to the Count or % Penetration value.
vi. In the Select a Geographic Level section, select a level of geography to use to create the thematic map.
Note: This list is zoom dependent. That means that if you are zoomed in or out on the map, different levels of geography will be available.
vii. Click Create Map.
For more information about mapping functionalities, please see Advanced Mapping Options.
You can change the printing options as required.
1. The Title and Subtitle are populated automatically, based on the map, but you can change them if required.
2. In the Layout list, you can choose your page size, orientation, and location of the legend. (When you see things like “Top Right” or “Bottom Left”, that refers to where the legend will be placed.) This will also show you a preview of what will be output in the final map, by adding a yellow box to your map. Everything inside the box will be output.
3. In the Format list, you can choose the output format for your map. You cannot actually print directly to a printer, just one of these options.
4. In the Quality list, you can choose from Regular or High quality (e.g., higher DPI) output.