To help supplement the customer and market analysis you’re completing in ENVISION US, Environics Analytics has added a tool that allows you to import COVID-19 case data at the county level. Once the data is imported, it will be added to your Customer data assets in My Data. You can then use it for mapping and ranking. Ranking markets by COVID-19 case counts and creating thematic maps with physical locations plotted will provide valuable insights to you, as COVID-19 case numbers evolve and as states begin to gradually reopen their economies.
For all clients licensing ENVISION USA, a new tool, Import COVID-19 Case Data is now available in 2020 ENVISION USA Workspaces with the following segmentation systems:
- PRIZM Premier
- P$YCLE Premier
Want us to see this in action? Click here to be walked-through the functionality in ENVISION, or view step-by-step instructions below.
1. In a 2020 Workspace (PRIZM Premier, P$YCLE Premier, or ConneXions), click the Import COVID-19 Case Data tool.
2. Click Import Data.
3. You will receive a notification once the import has been completed.
Once the notification is received, you will be able to download, map, and report using the data. These data are stored as Customers in the ENVISION workspace for these functionalities to be available.
1. In the side panel, click My Data > Customers.
2. Select the dataset and click Download.
3. The downloaded dataset is stored as a .csv file format.
1. In the side panel, click Mapping > Customers.
2. In Step 1 - Select an Area of Interest, click Select.
3. Select an area that you'd like to use by clicking the check mark next to it.
4. Click Continue.
5. In Step 2 - Select a Customer File, click Select.
6. Select your COVID-19 Case file by clicking the expand folder option (), and clicking the field you wish to map. next to it.
Tip: Case counts are cumulative over time, by selecting the "Yesterday" field, you will be mapping cumulative cases up until the day before the data were imported from the Import COVID-19 Case Data tool.
7. Specify the Map Type, Renderer Type and Scope.
- The Map Type can be either:
- Map Count which will create a thematic based on the count of the COVID-19 cases
- Map % Penetration which will create a thematic based on the penetration of the COVID-19 in the specified geography
Note: For the COVID-19 case data, penetration will be calculated by COVID-19 case data/households; use directionally.
- The Renderer Type dictates the type of map that will be created. It can be either:
- A Graduated Colour Map (sometimes also referred to as a heat map or a choropleth map) that will shade the selected level of geography based on the number of COVID-19 cases found within.
- A Graduated Circle Map will place circles within the selected level of geography, sized according to the count of COVID-19 cases.
- The Scope refers to the extent of the map being created. You can choose either:
- Area(s) of Interest if you wish to constrain your thematic to just be within your area of interest
- National if you wish to have the thematic map include values held in the entire country (the color theme will go beyond the area(s) of interest)
8. In Step 3 - Select a Geographic Level, select the geographic level you wish to shade based on the COVID-19 case count.
Note: The most granular level of detail is the County level.
9. Click Create Map.
The map will draw, shading select levels of geography based on the number of COVID-19 cases found within each boundary.
10. You can change the ranges, colors, and overlay options in Step 4 - Advanced Options.
11. Click Create Map once you have made any necessary adjustments.
12. You can change your map output in Step 5 - Printing Option pane. Select an output format from the Format list and click Print Map.
Report on the COVID-19 cases through the Ranking Areas - Customers tool.