The 2021 CensusPlus dataset includes more than 800 variables, based on data collected by Statistics Canada during the 2021 Census. CensusPlus includes many of the popular variables that analysts and marketers rely on from the Census, including age and sex by 5-year age cohorts, family households by presence of children, children by age group, housing type and tenure, as well as after tax income.
New for 2021, the Census introduced the concept of gender for the first time and makes the distinction between sex at birth and gender. With this, you will see the introduction of the terms Male+ and Female+ within the CensusPlus variable descriptions. Male+ includes cisgender and transgender men while Female+ includes cisgender and transgender women. Due to the small size of the non-binary population, non-binary persons are distributed over these two categories to maintain confidentiality.
For this product, Environics Analytics developed a set of proprietary algorithms for adjusting Census data to make them more usable. This database is enhanced by our modellers to fill in missing values where data are suppressed by Statistics Canada and to correct for random rounding, while maintaining a close relationship to the original Census. This work ensures that there are no missing values in CensusPlus and that the variables add up within thematic categories and across all levels of geography.
The DemoStats database consists of current-year estimates for more than 750 variables and includes demographic projections for approximately 500 of them for three, five, and ten years into the future. This proprietary database is created using innovative methods that combine econometric, demographic, and geographic models. As a result of our comprehensive methodology, DemoStats variables are available at the postal code level for current-year estimates and at the dissemination area level for future-year projections. The database also provides historical estimates from five years ago, based on the same methodologies to ensure accurate trend analysis.
Below you will find a short video that covers product details, sources, methodology, applications, and key questions about DemoStats and CensusPlus. Watching this video will provide you with an overview of these products and give you some ideas for how they can be used in your work.
Following the video, some additional resources are linked for your reference: release notes, variables list, metadata, and technical documents.
How-to-Read ENVISION Reports
- DemoStats - Trends Report - Demographics (opens in new tab)
- DemoStats - Executive Customer Report - Demographics (opens in new tab)
- DemoStats - Executive Trade Area Report - Demographics (opens in new tab)
- DemoStats - Executive Target Group Report - Demographics (opens in new tab)
Within our DemoStats product, we provide DemoStats current year and DemoStats Trends, which provides a five-year look-back in addition to three-year, five-year, and ten-year projections into the future.
- CensusPlus Release Notes 2016 (opens in new tab)
- CensusPlus Variables List 2016 (download)
- CensusPlus Metadata 2016 (download)
- CensusPlus Technical Document 2016 (opens in new tab)
- CensusPlus Release Notes 2021 (opens in new tab)
- CensusPlus Variables List 2021 (opens in new tab)
- CensusPlus Metadata 2021 (download)
- DemoStats Release Notes (opens in new tab)
- DemoStats Variables List (download)
- DemoStats Variables Change List (download)
- DemoStats Metadata (download)
- DemoStats Trends Release Notes (opens in new tab)
- DemoStats Trends Variables List (download)
- DemoStats Trends Metadata (download)
- DemoStats Technical Document (opens in new tab)