The MobileScapes - Cross Shop tool allows users to identify visitors to multiple locations of interest. Organizations can identify loyal visitors, referred to as "exclusive visitors" and non-exclusive visitors, and see where else they are visiting. This new functionality leverages mobile extracts and allows users to understand who your loyal visitors are, where else your visitors frequent, or who is your biggest threat (competitor). Using the MobileScapes Extract tool (opens in new tab), select from over 110,000 pre-built geofences or build your own geofences for any location in Canada to report the weighted visitor counts across multiple locations.
Use the WalkMe Through below as an on-screen, step-by-step guide for the tool in ENVISION, or refer to the steps below in this article.
There are three parts to this article:
- Area of Interest (opens in new tab)
- MobileScapes Data Extracts (opens in new tab) for at least two geofences for the same time period
Using the Tool
- Begin by launching the MobileScapes - Cross Shop tool.
- On the Executive Reporting - Builder page click Next.
- Select an Area of Interest by clicking the checkmark next to the name of the area. The area of interest filters the visitors based on their CEL (common evening location). The checkmark should be green once selected.
- Select one or multiple MobileScapes extracts from the list. If you are selecting one extract, a minimum of two geofences must be included in the extract. The checkmark will be green once selected.
- For Cross Shop, MobileScapes extracts must be for the same time period for all geofences. Do this quickly and easily by selecting multiple geofences and running them at once when running the MobileScapes Data Extract (opens in new tab) tool.
- The MobileScapes - Cross Shop tool only accepts weighted data extracts. Data extracts are weighted by default unless changed in the workspace settings.
- When using licensed geofences for the MobileScapes data extract, it is recommended to use unique and not shared boundaries to capture higher rates of loyal or exclusive visitors. For example, if running a MobileScapes data extract for an anchor store for a shopping mall, exclude the shopping mall geofence in order to capture the exclusive visitors for the store.
Note: Geofences refer to virtual geographic boundaries or polygons that represent particular areas of interest used for extracting mobile data.
If only one geofence is used for the selected MobileScapes extract, ENVISION will provide an error message:
- Ensure you select geofence locations that make sense for your analysis to get the best results. Identify locations that your visitors may reasonably attend such as competitors, locations that are part of a similar industry, venues for sponsorship and fundraising opportunities.
- Quickly check how many geofences are included in your MobileScapes extracts by checking Geofence Count or Geofence(s) in the Description column.
- Give your dashboard a descriptive name that you will be able to easily identify later. Click Create Dashboard.
Your reports will be found on the Results page.
- The MobileScapes - Cross Shop Tool produces two results:
- A dashboard identified with this icon:
- A file called CSExtract, identified with this icon:
- The CSExtract is mostly for reference. However, the file is available for application in any customer related tool and mapping in ENVISION. Filters must first be built to use the CSExtract file in other ENVISION tools and mapping.
Downloading the CSExtract File
If you want to download the MobileScapes - Cross Shop data for use in other analytical purposes, follow the steps below.
- Click on Results in the side panel.
- Locate the file labeled CSExtract.
- In the top left corner you are presented with options to share with a workgroup (opens in new tab), download, or delete the file. Click Download.
- Choose which geography levels and segmentation to append. Multiple options can be selected. This step is optional.
- Click Download.
- A notification to download the file will appear at the bottom right of your screen. You can also view the Excel file by clicking on the name of the file on the Results page.
Building Filters for Customer Tools and Mapping
Once you have run a MobileScapes - Cross Shop report, the resulting data can be used in any Customer related tool or to map customers (opens in new tab). To do so, filters must first be created based on your objective.
Review this ENVISION Tutorial for detailed instructions on how to create filters in ENVISION: Creating and Editing Customer Filters (opens in new tab).
To build queries for Visitors, Exclusive Visitors, Non-Exclusive Visitors, and specific locations in your Cross Shop report:
- Click the Filters section under the left "My Data" dropdown menu in ENVISION.
- Click Create New.
- Enter a name for the filter. Select Customers under filter type. Choose the Cross Shop report under customer file. Click Create.
- Click the name of the filter. In the Query Builder on the right, select the A_GeofenceName field.
- Use the In operator and select the filter value from the dropdown menu.
- Click Add to Query.
- Select a location for the query by selecting B_GeofenceName. Use the In operator and select the location from the dropdown menu.
- Click Add to Query.
An example of a complete query for exclusive visitors for a location:
Please review the How-To-Read MobileScapes - Cross Shop (opens in new tab)report to help you interpret the dashboard and CSExtract file.